An off-grid haven in the stunning Balaton National Park. Set among the vineyards overlooking Lake Balaton, peace and relaxation await you here. Ideal for the environmentally conscious traveller seeking comfort in a beautiful natural setting.
Vadrózsa ('Wild Rose') Cottage: My house has been a labour of love - I hope you enjoy staying there as much as we do.
I completely renovated the old wine cellar a few years ago with the aim of making it into a comfortable and eco-friendly family house. The house is off-grid - we have our own solar power and water comes from the well in the garden so you will shower in pure volcanically filtered water and feel totally guilt-free using your electrical devices! Nature comes right to your doorstep here and Csobánc has it's own very special character. Living in Vadrózsa really helps you to become at one with nature with virtually no carbon footprint.
You arrive at the cottage from the nearest village, Gyulakeszi, via a rough track. My friend, Reni, will meet you as I live in the UK most of the time. The road is a dead-end, so the only traffic you'll see is the occasional neighbour tending their vines. There is off-road parking for two cars and entry to the property is via a stone staircase onto a large wooden deck.
Inside, the split-level upper floor has the kitchen and bathroom on the upper level, and dining/living area on the lower level.
The kitchen is very well equipped, with everything you'll need. Kitchen staples are supplied, like herbs, salt/ pepper, flour, sugar etc. We provide gorgeous hand-blown locally-made wine glasses for you - oenophiles know the glass is crucial for wine appreciation (as is the fine Hungarian country air!) and you'll have no trouble finding plenty of wonderful wines to try in our local area. There is a gas cooker with hob and oven, a small gas powered fridge and a large Belfast-style sink.
The bathroom is a wet room with shower, wc and sink, clad in Fired Earth tiles from England. We provide towels as well as shampoo, soaps and washing up liquid for you to use which do not harm the environment.
The living room has exposed painted beams and a high vaulted ceiling, with a large window at the front which has spectacular views over the valley. There are padded benches, chairs and table so you can eat, read, lounge (or even work!) from here in comfort. In the cooler months, you can cosy up by the wood-burning stove - just go scavenging outside for your own natural fuel.
From here, stairs go downstairs to the lower floor and bedroom. This opening can also be closed as a trap door, so is useful if you have small children.
The light and airy bedroom was formerly the vaulted wine cellar, which makes it perfectly cool in the hot summers and well insulated in the spring/ autumn. There is a comfortable double bed in the main bedroom and an additional single day-bed in the front cellar, which could be used for a child or 3rd adult. For a small extra fee we can hire you a cot. There is also a portable gas heater, should you need it in the cooler months.
From here, you can exit to the front terrace which has views through the trees to Szent György Hegy opposite and the Tapolca basin with Lake Balaton in the distance. This is a spacious sunny place to enjoy meals or sunbathe, and removable canopy sails provide shade when needed. It's a beautiful place to stargaze from too.
In the garden, we have a number of fruit trees and if you're lucky, something will be in season when you're there. Plums, apples, quince, sour cherries, almonds, hazelnuts, grapes, figs and apricots are all yours for the taking and we have hammocks and sun-loungers to enjoy lazy days under their branches. We also have a herb garden at the back of the house by the kitchen and everything on the property is organic.
For kids, I have toddler twins, so we have a sandpit, paddling pool and various other toys which you are very welcome to use. Whilst the property is not 100% childproof, it's a truly magical place for children to explore and absorb nature. The beaches are only 10-15 mins drive from here and are very family friendly and Reni will be able to recommend many great local attractions to keep everyone entertained.
The vineyard itself is not making wine any more, but we give the grapes to our neighbours. If you're there in September and see a harvest getting underway, our neighbours will be delighted for you to join in - it's a memorable experience and Hungarian hospitality which you'll never forget.
You have the whole property to yourselves - about an acre of land and vines.
Interaksi dengan tetamu
Fiona will be happy to help with any advance requests and our Hungarian friend, Renáta (Reni), will be delighted to assist you during your stay.
PLEASE CONTACT RENATA WITH ANY ISSUES YOU HAVE DURING YOUR STAY AND SHE WILL BE DELIGHTED TO HELP:
- Please drive SLOWLY around Csobánc - cars are not permitted on the hill, so only vineyard owners (and their guests!) can drive there.
- Please do not waste water - it is our planet's most precious resource!
- Water at the property comes from our own well in the garden and although it is perfectly fine for cooking/ washing etc, we suggest drinking bottled water.
- Please don't put any wet wipes/ sanitary products/ cotton wool down the toilet.
- Please treat the environs of the National Park and our vineyard with respect. Don't leave rubbish outside, including cigarette butts.
- A hairdryer is provided so please do not bring your own - it might short out the electricity.
- Children adore Vadrozsa - but it's not 100% child proof and there are several unfenced areas such as the lower terrace and upper deck - please contact us before booking for more details.
- We can provide a baby cot and 2 additional children's beds for a small extra fee, payable locally to Reni. Please request these when you book.
- Candles are so romantic, but please only use them outside or in the lanterns provided.
- Please take precautions when using the barbecue or fire pit, as surrounding grass can easily catch fire in the dry months. Ensure you attend the fire at all times and extinguish it at the end of the evening.
- Please ensure windows and doors are locked when leaving the property.
Ex-classical musician, amateur wine enthusiast and proud mama to twins!