Andrew & Akanksha - thank you for your review! I enjoyed hosting you and Akanksha's parents.
I'm sorry you're experience was not ideal in terms of feeling safe at night. I have lived in the neighborhood for over 8 years without incident and no guests have made comments to me of a similar nature. I certainly do not wish to invalidate your observations and proximity to some public housing is not for all.
However, I have to address this as it can impact my bookings. I can assure guests that Alphabet City is as safe as any other downtown neighborhood according to crime statistics that are published monthly and there is a large police station on Avenue C and 8th Street (3 minute walk away) with a strong neighborhood presence. Finally, New York City is the safest city (with populations of ov (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) ) in the United States and has been for quite a few years now...especially within Manhattan. In fact, major and 'second-tier' cities in the MidWest (e.g. Detroit, MI) and the South (Atlanta, GA) have far higher crime rates.
Finally, for interested potential guests here is some additional information about the nearby public transport that is available:
My home is within (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) minutes walk of the following subway stations:
1. L subway line on 14th Street and First Avenue which connects with almost all uptown subway lines.
2. F subway line at 2nd Avenue and 2nd Street;
3. J, F, M, Z subway lines at Delancey / Essex Streets
4. The apartment is also within 2-5 minute walk of several handy crosstown bus services, e.g. the M14A and M14D.
5. There are three CitiBike stations within a 3-5 minute walk from my apartment. Ave D & 6th Street; Avenue C and 9th Street and Avenue B and 6th Street.
6. Cabs are readily flagged down along Avenue C or D; waits for Uber are always short (usually less than 5 minutes) and many local car services operate a short distance away such as LES Cabs, Delancey Cabs and New Day Car Services.
7. Link to the MTA Subway: (Website hidden by Airbnb) Link to the MTA Bus Routes: (Website hidden by Airbnb) Link to the CitiBike website: (Website hidden by Airbnb)
Hope this helps address any concerns from potential future guests! G.